USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:49 pm 
Lieutenant JG

Well it has been a while since I've posted on this forum, but I was talking to Guy the other day on Facebook and he said the Forums still existed, so I came back and browsed old posts for the past few days. Boy we had some great conversations back in this sites hay day. But it's just a shadow of it's former self now. Oh well, as long as it's around I'll be an active member, even if it is in long silent spurts...

So for those of you that don't keep up with the Star Trek publishing universe, there have been some new developments in the past year. David Mack, David Ward, and Kevin Dilmore have decided to continue the story of the Taurus Reach, even though Starbase 47 "Vanguard" has been destroyed. What makes this series so great is that it expands on the TOS Universe. It follows the stories Starfleet personel that aren't aboard our favorite Constitution Class. In fact, the new series "Star Trek: Seekers" continues the stories of the Constitution Class U.S.S. Endevour, and the Archer Class U.S.S. Sagitarius, as they explore strange new worlds and seek out new civilizations, in the unforgiving Taurus Reach.

I've actually have my hands full with two other Star Trek novels I promised myself to read first, but the first two books in the series are out now, and the second two are due out later this year. I think one of the things that I like the most is the covers. They're a tribute to the Trek novels of the 70's, in look and asthetic. As of late, most Star Trek covers are done by the famous Doug Drexler (for example, all the Vanguard novels), but "Seekers" is something different. Apparently Simon & Shulster were blind sided by a young unknown artist named Rob Caswell who sent them concept covers for the series when he heard about it, and the publisher was floored. Since then his art has been presented on the first two covers, and the second two (which were shown on StarTrek.com), are slated to be his as well...

So before I close, I've decided to post the first four official covers, and then some of the concept covers he presented to Simon & Shulster, enjoy...

The Four Offical Covers:

The Concept Covers That Got Rob Caswell The Job:

- Col. Tigh / Battlestar Galactica

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:18 pm 
Lieutenant JG

Location: Wouldn't enquiring Starship Captain's like to know!
I've still to complete the Vanguard series, and those are the only Trek novels I've bought in many a year. But I read about how the Seeker series came about, and also how the cover designs came about over on the Trek BBS.

Must catch up with the remainder of the Vanguard series. So many books, so little time!

Mark

"Attention, Klingon vessel, this is the USS Lollipop of Doom.....I mean USS Tamerlane!"

"If you come down to the forum today, you're in for a BIG surprise! NINJA TRIBBLES!" :shock:

"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice? INCOMING!" - old Klingon proverb!

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:06 pm 
Lieutenant JG

The end of Vanguard really got me worked up. It was sad that certain charecters got a raw deal, but I still liked how it ended. You really need to push on through to the end, I promise you won't be disappointed....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:17 pm 
Lieutenant JG

Location: Wouldn't enquiring Starship Captain's like to know!
Just looked on Memory Alpha site, and see I've a few to catch up on. I've only got and read "Harbinger", "Summon the Thunder" and "Reap the Whirlwind". I thought there was just a short story collection and one more novel in the series! I really have fallen behind with it!

Mark

"Attention, Klingon vessel, this is the USS Lollipop of Doom.....I mean USS Tamerlane!"

"If you come down to the forum today, you're in for a BIG surprise! NINJA TRIBBLES!" :shock:

"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice? INCOMING!" - old Klingon proverb!

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:02 am 
Lieutenant JG

Yeah, without me looking on my bookshelf or at Memory Alpha, I think the series is 8 or 9 books long (pretty substantial). Plus there are the 2 short stories in the C.O.E. Book, and the Mirror Universe Collection, and one novella that is only available by Kindle download. Then the "Seekers" series begins, and their currently up to Book 2, but 3 & 4 are due out before the end of the year.... Ahhhh the TOS Expanded Universe!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:51 am 
Lieutenant JG

Just opened up my e-mail to find a message from Barnes & Noble that Star Trek: Seekers Vol. 3 "Long Shot" is on hold and available for pick-up. WOOO HOOO, more Star Trek Expanded Universe goodness....