USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:27 am 
Artist: Tamerlane

Location: Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol, Perseus Arm (Orion Starbridge), Virgo Supercluster
I'm working on the Little T's bridge, I have a color version, but it looks flat to me, so I was going to take the color maps back in and work on them a bit (I'm starting "Devil on the Run")... I open the Color bridge file, and it looks just fine to me, all of those slightly featureless textures are in place. I hit render, it renders just fine...

Okay. I can't remember where that texture folder is... it's somewhere, so I'll just run a search for c-Engineering-cove.jpg (The "C" is the color map)...

It's not there.

I change my parameters (unclick "Indexed" etc)... and run the search again..

After waiting 3 minutes, it's still not there... the search turns up the black and white versions... the ones I use in normal Manga mode... but no sign at all of the color ones. My computer is insisting I do not have Color versions of the maps for this set.

I go back into Poser...

Still rendering just fine, very colorful...

I go to the materials room, click on the image map and check the path:

C:\Programs (x86)\Smith Micro\Poser 8\Runtime\Textures\!!!Color Tamerlane Textures-INT\C-Cove-Engineering.jpg

Ooooookay. I go and open up that folder...

There are NO COLOR textures in that folder at all... None. No textures marked with a "C", nada... Just the black and white ones...

I render in Poser again... It renders just fine.

Mind you, while I was in Texas, this computer was OFF... completely off... This was the first time I've opened this file since I came back... and I haven't moved anything! So this can't be a cached thing...

What in the world is Poser doing?!? Where is it getting this data? This is SO bizzare.

Well, it's not really a problem, I was going to redo the textures on that set anyway... The color we saw before was a test coloring. I liked it, so I'm going to REALLY do it nicely now :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:04 am 
Artist: Nova Trek

Have you run a search for just "Color Tamerlane tetures"? Could be the maps are somewhere else other than where you expect them. I know that sometimes with my computer if I've clicked on something, then go and click on something else, if I'm not careful, both items will go wherever I wanted to send the second item.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:53 am 

Location: Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol, Perseus Arm (Orion Starbridge), Virgo Supercluster
Well, I searched for the exact name of the texture "C-Double Cove Engineering.jpg" and didn't find it at all... I did find "Double Cove Engineering.jpg" (Without the "C"), which is the black and white version... Really, it's not a matter of not finding it (Well, okay it IS), it's the fact that I was looking IN THE FOLDER where Poser said the files were (In normal Windows Explorer) and they were not there! There are only 18 textures to the bridge... and there were 18 files, all black and white... they aren't hidden... since I am looking at them in Explorer, it's not like they were in an "unknown format" (Sometimes Photoshop won't show files that it doesn't understand, like MS Word Doc files in the "Open File" Dialogue)... because I'm not looking at it from inside Poser, I'm just looking at the folder itself... This is so weird! :D

Anyway, Madison, I totally appreciate your help! Don't misread my frustration as a rejection of your assistance!

I just don't know where Poser is getting these files from... It loads them in to memory when rendering (I see them rattle past on the render dialogue popup)! And it's loading them from that "Color Textures" folder which has only 18 black and white pictures! Soooo strange!

Well, today I'm doing a new set of pictures, these will be done on the Slate (So they will be hand colored, not Photoshop colored as the old set were). Which is what I wanted to do initially anyway... I'm just put back a little bit by not having the color files to start with... maybe an hour, not more than that. This wasn't a major loss :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm 
Lieutenant JG

My guess is they're hidden somehow in the window view. I'd try Tools: Folder Options in the folder window, and then hit the View tab and toggle the 'show hidden files and folders' to on.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/compute ... -easy-way/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:46 pm 

Hey, thanks J Ferio! And while I'm at it: Welcome to the Little T! :)

I suspected the files were hidden as well (this leads to many more questions: like why would Windows hide them? And why just the color files? But that's for another day), but I don't know how to unhide folders in Vista... (Sadly, I have Vista)... I went and looked at the link, but it's only XP. Do you know where the same instructions can be found for Vista?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 pm 
Lieutenant JG

I don't have vista, I've got XP still, but the principles should be the same, you should be able to find it on the file's properties, which you can get to by right clicking.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:31 pm 
Author: Saladin

Vista and Windows 7 put everything in "My Documents." I've been discovering this the hard way with my new pc....

https://www.facebook.com/StarshipSaladin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm 
Lieutenant JG

Aabh wrote:
Hey, thanks J Ferio! And while I'm at it: Welcome to the Little T! :)

I suspected the files were hidden as well (this leads to many more questions: like why would Windows hide them? And why just the color files? But that's for another day), but I don't know how to unhide folders in Vista... (Sadly, I have Vista)... I went and looked at the link, but it's only XP. Do you know where the same instructions can be found for Vista?

I'm not sure where it would be in Vista (curse Microsoft for changing everything just to do it!). But you can try these links.

http://saveme.danfischbach.com/usb2

http://freewindowsvistatutorials.com/me ... olders.php

And thanks for the welcome. I was mildly surprised to see that you were still doing comics, I'd lost touch when I dropped out of Denver Anime International to pursue other avenues. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 pm 

Hey you're a fellow DAI member! :D And I think I know who you are! :)

[DAI mode, sorry guys!]

I totally understand persuing other interests; I gave up on DAI after a while as well... Not intentionally, mind... but more out of time constraints. I still see Roger at NDK, and I'm friends with a couple other folks on Facebook. I saw Mike O. At Mile Hi Con last month, but I couldn't get to him in time to say hi or anything... Of course, DAI is now long gone, it disbanded almost 8 years ago I think...

So, what are you up to these days?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:45 pm 
Lieutenant JG

Same old, same old. I've been doing graphic design professionally the last several years, at least, as professional as it gets working in a quick print shop. I'm still in touch with Murdock, actually, he let me know that the group is at best a shadow of it's former self.

I'm still trying to pursue some creative interests at home, and steering somewhat clear of being active in the fan groups, especially after my burnout doing another newsletter for one of the Trek groups, but I also get out of the apartment and do the social thing. :shock:

I didn't realize you've been hitting Mile Hi Con. Maybe we should get together and hold a 'Little T' convention. ;)