USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 am 
Artist: Surya

Howdy, folks.

So, as part of the switch to the new computer, I've had to switch from using a 10-year-old version of photoshop to GIMP, mostly because my ex-wife took the installation CD.

I'm having a few growing pains. The biggest one I've got right now is merging images.

I take a picture, .PNG with alpha channel. I copy and paste another .PNG on top of it - now I have two layers (I think). But Merge Layers, Merge Visible Layers and even Flatten Image are all greyed out.

Anyone have any hints as to what might be happening here?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 pm 

Is the layer still "floating" if so, right click on it in the layers section and click "create new layer"... then do whatever you want with it...

For some really good gimp tutorials www.meetthegimp.org is good, also while focused on fantasy mapping... there's some really really good ones on http://forum.cartographersguild.com/

"To date, Zentran scholars have yet to pinpoint the exact power of this "protobunny." Dr. Hexagram of Macross 8.2 died in his research - his last act was collapsing dead, moaning "mooooooeeee" while watching DYRL." --Shammie Milliome Trading Card

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:48 pm 

That seems to have been it. Silly me, assuming that pasting something in would just give me a layer...

I've looked at those sites, but generally speaking trying to find a tutorial that will actually answer my specific question is impossible, 'cause they don't make tutorials on things like "how to paste a new layer."

What the heck does one use a floating layer for, anyway?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:59 am 
Artist: Nova Trek

I use Photoshop Elements 2.0 for all of my "Assembly" work. I have number 5, but There are problems with it. Anything I do on one layer is automatically duplicated on every layer in the project. once the background or any layer has anything on it, they all do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 pm 

mdbruffy wrote:
I use Photoshop Elements 2.0 for all of my "Assembly" work. I have number 5, but There are problems with it. Anything I do on one layer is automatically duplicated on every layer in the project. once the background or any layer has anything on it, they all do.

Doesn't that defeat the point of having layers in the first place? I hope Adobe did something about that!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 pm 
Artist: Nova Trek

Vagabond Elf wrote:
mdbruffy wrote:

Doesn't that defeat the point of having layers in the first place? I hope Adobe did something about that!

Photoshop Elements 5 came with my wacom Bamboo tablet. When I tried to go to their site- where I am registered- it wouldn't recognise my passcode. When I tried to ask for it to be sent, the site locked up.
Haven't been back since.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:03 pm 

Vagabond Elf wrote:
That seems to have been it. Silly me, assuming that pasting something in would just give me a layer...

I've looked at those sites, but generally speaking trying to find a tutorial that will actually answer my specific question is impossible, 'cause they don't make tutorials on things like "how to paste a new layer."

What the heck does one use a floating layer for, anyway?

It's so you can do a bunch of manipulation to the paste... then just "anchor" to the layer you pasted it into... GIMPs default new layer location is top... so if it dumped it into a new layer, merge down would drop it on the top most layer before the paste, whether that was the layer you were manipulating or not.

Dig way back on meet the gimp... yeah most the tuts are to do something, but the older ones tend to be short... and focus on some basic function.

Also, GIMP will let you paste as a new layer, brush, pattern, image... the hotkey in windows are ctrl+shift+v(new image), there isn't a hot key for the others, but they can be added...

"To date, Zentran scholars have yet to pinpoint the exact power of this "protobunny." Dr. Hexagram of Macross 8.2 died in his research - his last act was collapsing dead, moaning "mooooooeeee" while watching DYRL." --Shammie Milliome Trading Card

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 pm 

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-selection-float.html looks like floating layers were mostly from before gimp handled layers very well in the first place...

finally when all else fails RTFM http://docs.gimp.org/en/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:36 am 

I actually have the manual saved so I can read it off-line, even; but in the "merge Layers" section there's nothing that says "First make sure your layer is actually a layer and not some strange thing that we haven't gotten rid of now that we know how to actually implement a layer." :P