USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Impossible Runtime
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:51 pm 
Artist: Tamerlane

Location: Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol, Perseus Arm (Orion Starbridge), Virgo Supercluster
So... I went to Japan, installed Poser, came back, installed it on a second computer. Found my old computer, grabbed that Runtime... found my REALLY OLD Hard Drive, from my Poser Heyday (1999-2002-ish), snagged THAT Runtime, and now I'm merging them all together (As opposed to before when I let P8 do it for me... it does a fine job, but I don't trust it to hold it together forever)...

Woah...

currently we are fighting with a 20 GB runtime... I am getting the duplicates out (And trying to clean up my Props directory, the messiest of them all... though my Characters and Pose dirctories are also rather disasterous with all the MATs nd INJ poses all mixed in...)

What a majr undertaking this has been... but, I found some master files from the days when I made Poser comics side-by-side with hand-drawn comics... :mrgreen:

Soon, I shall be able to regail you with stories of Aabh the cat! :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:22 am 
Artist: Surya

Meh. While I'm sure (based on my own hard drive) that it's a chore, I'd just like to point out my D|S2 runtime is, as of right now, 56.6 GB - and I'm not the largest out there by any means.

So... it could be worse. (Though I concede that a large runtime bothers D|S less than Poser - but that 56 gigs doesn't count all the D|S format content, either.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:28 am 
Author: Saladin

Every time I've blended runtimes I regret it. It's too bad that every file you get from DAZ has to be installed by itself. It takes forever to load content. If they created a standardized load structure and content creators used logical naming conventions for their folders, it wouldn't be such a mess.

https://www.facebook.com/StarshipSaladin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:51 am 

Location: Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol, Perseus Arm (Orion Starbridge), Virgo Supercluster
Well... actually, it wasn't supposed to be a contest on runtime size, my friend :mrgreen: sorry about that!... actually, my P4 runtime was a scary 300MB! When it was on my P2/500MHz machine with the 2 750MB HDDs, that was a big deal... back in 1999...

I think if there was any "Contest" I could compete in, it would have to be "Longest Poser User" contest... I can think, right away, that many of you, being that you use Poser to do your comics today (I haven't used Poser for anything other than backgrounds), would have runtimes many times the size of mine...

I have, however, found my original Posette mods that I used (Yamato's Nene), a really old Humvee model (Not the DAZ model, I have that one too :D), I seem to have Aiko, Aiko 3 and Aiko 4, Stephanie 3 (Petite), Michael 1, 2 and 3 and Vicki 1 3 and 4 all in the same runtime... along with some interesting other characters; Koshini and Near Me live side by side now... I have some of the very first Kozoburo hair sets... the ones he released in 2000 which changed the way everyone did hair (Transmapping?!? Wow! :D).

It's more that my runtime is like a bizzare museum now... generations of interesting comic characters exist in the Runtime, rigged for the last scene they were in (Gunslinger 407, Earth Beta, the Adventures of Felinius Aabh... all stories I wrote but never finished-certainly never got to the level you guys are at!), there are Cylon Raiders, Buck Rogers Style rocket ships, even a TARDIS...

I've been consolidating characters so that P1/P2 characters are in one folder, Posette and Dork (Hi and Lo res versions) are in the next folder, Don, Judy, Penny and Bill Mummy's character (Whatever his name was) is in another folder, James, Jessi, Kate and Ben are in a fourth... I didn't actually complete the download of my P8 runtime, so they aren't in there, yet... I'll have to do something about that. I found that they consolidated all of the characters before into "Abbreviated" versions later: P6 came with P5 characters, but only three of them... P5 came with a handful of P4 characters, etc. I don't think they'll ever be useful for anything, but since I'm obviously not hurting for space here... :D

No, this was simply a curiosity, nothing more :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:57 am 

Ken: I've had to do it so many times in the past I'm becoming kinda old hand at it.

Since Poser makes it so easy to back up your setup (Copy the Runtime!), I've had to mix it in with other Runtimes in the past many times. It's all about the Geometries folder, the Library folder and the Texture folder. If you can integrate those three folders okay (Using your current install for all other folders), then it should run just fine.

This is the same for changing the names of things so you can find them again (As opposed to having to remember that "Snergleblatt" is the folder where your bridge set is, etc). Change the folder name in the Library will do just fine. Worse case is that Poser might have to ask you where things went, but it can go find them pretty easily, and it only needs to do it once.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:47 pm 
Author: Saladin

Well, I tell you, it sure would be nice to be able to set up a structure that made logical sense and not be dependent on where the installers put stuff. :)

I want a Star Trek folder with subfolders for Uniforms, Sets, Characters, Props, etc. I hate searching for stuff. I have created content folders in DAZ that are just folders that point to stuff for classifying it, but it doesn't rename any folders. It's sort of a shell that resides over the top of the mess to try to keep it organized is the best way I can describe it.

https://www.facebook.com/StarshipSaladin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:28 pm 

Saladin_CO wrote:
Every time I've blended runtimes I regret it. It's too bad that every file you get from DAZ has to be installed by itself. It takes forever to load content. If they created a standardized load structure and content creators used logical naming conventions for their folders, it wouldn't be such a mess.

Rather than installing straight to your runtime, install to a temp folder and then put stuff where you want it. I never leave anything in the folder the content creator left it in. And content bought from DAZ is no worse for that than content bought from anyone else.

@Guy: I hadn't meant that to sound as competitive as it does. So, sorry about that...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:40 pm 

VElf, don't worry about it, I'm having a sorta crazy day and I'm not exactly sure if I'm responding clearly, either :D

Ken: I can tell you that in Poser at least, you can make and move folders in the Library with no extra problems.

I.e. I have Ptrope's bridge in a folder called "Ptrope"... That won't help any because I can't remember that over a long period of time (This actually became true recently when I moved my P4 runtime... I had a "Redfern" folder... it had the Tardis in it... I would have NEVER guessed that.)

So, going into your Poser(*)/Runtime/Libary/Characters folder, create a new folder called "Sets" find the "Ptrope" folder, open it up and move everything in there to the "Sets" folder. When you start Poser up next time you'll see that you will have a "Sets" folder and inside will be the Bridge.

Props work the same way: Poser(*)/Runtime/Libraries/Props you can make as many folders in there as you want.

Each Character file has three important parts; a .cr2 a .crz and a .png As long as you have the .cr2 and the .crz the file will work, the .png is the preview picture (Here's a cool side-note: you can make that preview picture .png ANYTHING you want... as long as you save it as a png, you are good to go. (That's how they do the cool preview pictures when you install; they render the character, save the picture, open it in Photoshop, add the "COOL KID" thing in front, change the bakground, etc... then save it as a 70x70 pixel .png with the same name as the .cr2 and .crz in the same directory and *POOF* That's the preview picture! :D). The Props are even easier; there is one critical file; .pp2. There is also a .png preview which follows the same rules as the Character files.

Pose files are in three parts: .pz2 .rsr (The critical files) and the .png (the preview picture).

If you want, you can take all of your .cr2s and .crzs and dump them in a big, happy folder altogether if you really want to... it will still work (You'll have a crazy-big folder of Chracters... but hey! Whatever floats your boat! :D).

Personally, I have a Tamerlane Sets folder and a Tamerlane Ships folder for these things... Also I have a "Federation Construction Set" folder...

I presume that D|S uses the same type of files (Since it can run Poser files), and file structure, so if you want to track down those file extensions, you can move them anywhere. Make your own directories, etc... But I'd be a little cautious of doing this. I have been a loyal Poser owner for a very long time, I have D|S... because I was a beta tester a hundred years ago... but I haven't used it since, really... So I really don't know.

And when you back up Poser, simply copy the Runtime folder somewhere else. Install a fresh copy of Poser, and replace the fresh Runtime with your backed up runtime... everything will be exactly as it was (And the program will run stable again)... That's why I'm doing this massive reorginization: I will be able to get old Felinious Aabh and put him on the Little T or whatever I want to do... :)

Now, the caveat: don't move anything else, just the Libraries folder stuff. Poser will find the Textures on its own, leave them in the Ptrope folder (or whatever)... If you move the textures around, it won't change what you see and it will just confuse Poser (Though not critically) :)

Side note: Don't use Poser 8's "Refresh" folder function, it causes the program to crash... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:28 pm 

D|S is even less picky; you can't have D|S format content and Poser format content... and that's about it. And actually, you can, but you have to map them as two separate content directories and can't display both formats at the same time, so it's less confusing to just put them in different places. Plus, with D|S 2, if you have a .pz2 and .ds or .dsb in the same folder with exactly the same name, when you attempt to import the .pz2 it wll run the .ds/.dsb instead, giving you proper D|S mats instead of poorly-read Poser ones.

V4 and M4 have a few root files that will cause problems if you move them, but they aren't with the files you actually manipulate. And when copying stuff over, people tend to miss the data folder - because D|S isn't actually working with Poser files, it's importing and converting them. So all the important info is in the data folder.

But yeah; I'm slowly cleaning up and optimising my structure. Right now, all my clothes are in something like :runtime/libraries/characters/clothing/women/v4/v4 modern clothes/Outfit/ . Then, all the poses and mats for that outfit are in a another folder under that, rather than way over in the Poses library. Similarly, all my vehicles - whether pp2 or cr2 - are in the Props folder. That's just Poser content; D|S content is organised a bit differently, with each major figure being the top and clothes, poses, characters, and so forth being under that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:37 pm 
Lieutenant JG

I suppose I should do that, I just linked the p7 runtime in P8's library menu. I hardly ever actually use the P8 runtime, most of the time I just add stuff to the old p7 runtime.