USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:09 pm 
Author: Saladin

Nice insignia. I like the tie-in to Ragnarok. Good stuff! :)

https://www.facebook.com/StarshipSaladin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 pm 
Ensign

thanks was much harder to make then first thought LOL

and i figured a ship named loki it would be appropriate. trying to think of a name for the shuttles. it has 3 type F's and then a larger troop transport type shuttle (that will probably never be used but it's there)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 pm 
Lieutenant JG

Saladin's only have 2 F class shuttles, the schematics you should us in earlier post have shown that.

"I WANNA EAT WHALE!"
-Captain Aya Nakajima
USS Constellation II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:42 am 
Ensign

yup and i said i was going to make part of deck 9 the shuttle bay as well and the arboretum that is on deck 10 now houses the fabricators. no trees on the Loki :lol:

i figure those plans are a guide line there could be running changes to each ship as it is built or changes to them to suite the needs of the time. like in the Phase II episode blood and fire kirk's nephew says "i hate none standard deck layouts" when they are trying to locate an area on the ship they ran a crossed. the loki in this regard is a none standard layout with a slightly larger shuttle bay area that takes up 2 decks instead of only 1.

also after the first story it will no longer have the second nacelle and will be a standard saladin configuration again the second nacelle is just the reason it gets out of mouth balls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:12 pm 
Ensign

decided to name the shuttles after norwegian cities and the troop transport after the capital

Narvik NCC-529/1 Type F shuttle
Brevik NCC-529/2 Type F shuttle
Oslo NCC-529/3 Troop Transport shuttle

Last edited by gpgt01 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:57 pm 
Lieutenant JG

So what is the Loki's roll as a restored ship in the service. She is a destroyer testing a new design for her class in terms of engine power(?) (The effects of the nacelle numbers is rather vague), so why would she need to have more shuttles then normal?

"I WANNA EAT WHALE!"
-Captain Aya Nakajima
USS Constellation II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:20 pm 
Ensign

it's a carry over from when she was built during the klingon war from 2252-2256 she was used as a mobile base for the marines to carry out ship boardings and planetary assaults and defense. because of this during the war she also carried a larger number of marines then normal

now it's just a larger shuttle bay/ storage area probably will not have any story importance just back ground fluff :)

and the warp nacelle is to see if adding the extra nacelle will help with warp field stability and also how the placement of the nacelles effect the warp field as well. figure starfleet would do this instead of just building a new ship out right just for testing.

but then they did that with the excelsior in star trek III and the defiant in DS9

and i am leaving the nacelle vague on purpose it's just a plot device for the story. it's the reason why the ship is put back into service and why it's heading where it's going. other then that was not really thinking to hard on it :lol: as it is not a perminat addition to the ship

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:16 am 
Artist: Surya

The infinity symbol actually depicts Jörmungandr, not Loki, but hey, close enough. Most other ship's emblems aren't even that relevant, and it's a nice simple shape. You might want to consider filling in the "holes" with a different shade (for ease of manufacturing there's no way a ship's emblem with cut-outs would ever have appeared on the show). This would also let you move the divisional emblem into that space and make it bigger - as it is I think they'd be too small to be recognised.

The "doppelganger unit" you're seeing is actually a telescope, as part of the physics lap. Back in the '70s, when Franz Joseph drew those plans, there was no reason why a staship couldn't just have one warp nacelle. Still, if you're going to put your ship in the Tammer-verse, then the visual works well. :) As for the other rearrangements, sure, why not. Though I will note that part of the reason for all the labs is the inherent optimisim of TOS - the attitude that even the little ships spend most of their time doing science, not war.

As for shuttles: I always thought the bay on Sallies was too small as it is; even opening it up onto another level will make it very difficult to operate 4 smallcraft. Look at how huge the shuttle bay on a Connie is, and they only run 4 or 6 shuttles. So if you absosmurfly must have four shuttles (and is there really a reason, other than "my ship needs to be special" (something we all succumb to but should struggle against) ?) then you should make it clear that the bay is really too small and shuttlecraft ops are slow and dangerous as a result.

You've got names already but an alternate set would be Loki's children. He fathered the aforementioned Jörmungandr, as well as Fenrir and Hel, on a jotun; fathered Nari on an Aesir, and was the mother of Sleipnir, Odin's 8 legged horse.

Another thought would be various trickster gods. Or a completely different theme: Big E's shuttles are all named for astronomers which have aboslutely no connection to the historical uses of ships named Enterprise.

(Or just say, nah, I'm good thanks and carry on. :) )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:49 pm 
Ensign

the more i look at it the more i agree only reason why i thought 4 would work is in the pans it shows 2 type Fs then 2 shuttle pods shoved in the back. then i started looking at the profile and well how do they launch the shuttle pods????? they would have to launch one of the type fs get it out then bring up a shuttle pod launch it then bring back in the type f. the same would have to happen when the shuttle pod returned.

will probably drop one of the type F's at least with it being dropped a level the shuttles could be stored at the lower level then brought up to be launched still a hassle compared to a Connie or larger ship but better. actually i did drop a type f so now it just has the 2 and the transport unlike other saladins i do not have shuttle pods though.

and i agree with the hole on the insignia not sure how much larger the division symbol would be though if i moved it to the area

Last edited by gpgt01 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:54 pm 
Ensign

got rid of the hole looks better. tried moving the symbol to the top corner was not any larger there so kept them in the center

Attachment:
uss loki command insignia.jpg
uss loki command insignia.jpg [ 7.67 KiB | Viewed 2643 times ]