USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:51 am 
Artist: Surya

It's older than that. Kirk goes back to Old Norse, which is very very similar to Old English and Old German - a lot of the differences between English, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are the result of the different languages simplifying in different ways. The three Scandinavian languages are still mutually intelligible, in fact, something I witnessed firsthand over Christmas, though they're written quite differently now. It's generally accepted that Old Norse, Old English and Old German probably worked the same way.

Your link does note the Old Norse word, but then proceeds to oversimplify as such things are wont to do. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 pm 
Artist: Nova Trek

Vagabond Elf wrote:
It's older than that. Kirk goes back to Old Norse, which is very very similar to Old English and Old German - a lot of the differences between English, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are the result of the different languages simplifying in different ways. The three Scandinavian languages are still mutually intelligible, in fact, something I witnessed firsthand over Christmas, though they're written quite differently now. It's generally accepted that Old Norse, Old English and Old German probably worked the same way.

Your link does note the Old Norse word, but then proceeds to oversimplify as such things are wont to do. :)

Okay. That site was pushing the family crest, too. You probably got more details if you placed an order.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:09 pm 
Artist: Surya

mdbruffy wrote:
Vagabond Elf wrote:

Okay. That site was pushing the family crest, too. You probably got more details if you placed an order.

Maybe. Probably not. Those sites make their money off people's desire to believe that the names are all connected and that everyone has a coat-of-arms. (A crest is a thing that goes on top of a helmet.) The truth is, most names aren't connected and most people have no right to arms. Even if your ancestor did - mine did - it almost certainly hasn't decended to you. (My branch of the Atte Wode's splits away form inheriting the arms the second generation after they were probably awarded. Plus, being Canadian, I have no right to British noble honours - including coats-of-arms.) That doesn't stop me using it unofficially, and I don't disagree with others doing the same thing - but the websites play on people wanting it to be "real." So I don't figure they're all that reliable as a source of data.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:22 pm 

Vagabond Elf wrote:
mdbruffy wrote:
Vagabond Elf wrote:

Maybe. Probably not. Those sites make their money off people's desire to believe that the names are all connected and that everyone has a coat-of-arms. (A crest is a thing that goes on top of a helmet.) The truth is, most names aren't connected and most people have no right to arms. Even if your ancestor did - mine did - it almost certainly hasn't decended to you. (My branch of the Atte Wode's splits away form inheriting the arms the second generation after they were probably awarded. Plus, being Canadian, I have no right to British noble honours - including coats-of-arms.) That doesn't stop me using it unofficially, and I don't disagree with others doing the same thing - but the websites play on people wanting it to be "real." So I don't figure they're all that reliable as a source of data.

Okay. I've had to worry about a coat-of-arms, so I didn't know. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 pm 

Part 1 just hit 200 views!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 pm 
Visitor

Congratulations! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:33 pm 

PDSmith wrote:
Congratulations! :D

Thank you. :)