USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Do you read Star Trek Fan Fiction?
Yes, I read whatever I can get my hands on, love it all. 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Yes, I read what draws my attention. 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
Maybe, if it is recommended or if I'm in the mood at the right moment. 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Not very often. Rarely, if ever. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never. I don't care for it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:32 pm 
Artist: Nova Trek

Vagabond Elf wrote:
celticarchie wrote:
Writing Fan Fiction.

The problem I have with writing fan fiction is that I get stuck. In fact, I'm stuck now and that is why episode three of Caliburn isn't done yet. I know exactly what needs to happen in the story, I just have to write it. Sounds simple, but every time I try, I don't seem to get anywhere. What I need to do is just sit down with a print out of what I have and grab an A4 pad and plot out the rest of the story.

The best advice I've ever gotten for that is: just start writing. Anything. Then, after you've got three pages, trash it and start again, and this time, pay attention.

Like in physics, the hardest part is getting things started in the first place.

This is why I wrote out all the storylines for Nova Trek ahead of time. I never thought about the artwork until I had the story down. Once I had a complete story, then I went back through it thinking "camera angles" and "lighting" and do I need to build that set or do I have it already?
The story always comes first.
I mean, what can you do without the story? Nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:41 pm 
Author: Saladin

I always do an outline, down to the most basic of basic concepts first. Here's an example:

“HERE THERE BE DRAGONS”

By Captain Pike's orders, Young cadets Martin and Decker join Lt. Spock on a landing party from the Enterprise to explore Berengaria 7, where they encounter dragons, and other strange events.... Toward the end of Pike's command, the Enterprise carried a small contingent of Starfleet cadets. They were sent to explore a planet called Berengaria 7, and the son of Matt Decker and his fellow classmate Ray Martin were chosen to join what was supposed to be a routine study of indigenous life-forms. Led by the ship's first officer, known as 'Number One,' Lt. Spock and his team, along with the cadets, explored the strange new world....

From that core concept or set up, I started writing. I had a pretty good idea where I wanted to go with it, but a lot of it came to me as I went along. I only rewrote it once. All of my story concepts are like this at the beginning. Sometimes, I see a scene in my mind and it sits there, waiting for the right story vehicle to make it come alive. I do a piece of artwork for it that keeps it in my mind and one day, the scene will have life because I like the scene, I just need to write the story where it fits. That is less common, but it has happened to me. I think very visually, so it is also something I did with my Star Trek Online comics. I started imagining the story as I was taking screenshots in the game. As I did this, I 'sculpted' the story by building it from images and bits and pieces in my mind until it became a story. At least a few were that way. Some were very scripted ahead of time. I would create the basic plot and fill in the dialogue later. It works but it would probably be better overall if it were 100% planned out. Just sometimes those screenshots are happenning in the heat of the moment and are coming at you live and you just have to roll with them and get what you get. I have redone missions to get shots I wanted after the fact, akin to a reshoot of a movie scene.

However you do it, the story is everything. When you get stuck, go read a book and change gears, then come back to it. I like so many kinds of media I sort of have both an advantage and a disadvantage. The advantage is, if I get bored with one, I can try something else. The disadvantage is, it is sometimes extremely hard to focus on finishing something. That's why I chose to do the 3d movie and not take on anything else until it is done. But that story was written a few years ago and only expanded recently. It is coming along very well though. :)

Just keep working on it. Re-read what you have, and think about your characters. Try to make them have a life of their own and their own motivations. Put yourself in every role and try to think like they do. LET them guide you to a story. You'll be surprised how much easier it becomes if you trust your characters to act the way they would act. What are their goals? What is their history that makes them what they are now? Do they have dark secrets or are they disappointed in something in life, or afraid of something? Maybe they have a dread of something, or maybe they're so naiive that they're set up for a fall and you can write a story to see how they will deal with that.

There are infinite possibilities. :)

https://www.facebook.com/StarshipSaladin