USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:43 am 
Author: Saladin

Heh! I was at a convention in Houston in 1992 with Shatner and Nimoy, and a group in the crowd held up a big sign for Shatner that said on it, "Get a Life!"

I will say that I've occasionally gone back to revise an older work that I've done to bring it to consistency. In fact, I'm going to redo the artwork for "Distress Call" now that I've got a lot better likenesses made for the characters and I can actually improve it. It works as is, which is nothing but a snippet/promo for "The Champion" but I'm going to be picking up a second story that happens after it, and so I'm going to re-render the character scenes. I also made tiny changes to "Here There Be Dragons" to reflect minor corrections for continuity on a couple of occasions. But for the most part, if I sit there and keep working on perfecting one thing, I lose sight of the forest for the tree. Getting something done is more important than the fine detail. It is generally a measure of success or failure.

My Demonslayers project has long fallen into the trap of being edited to death. Pretty soon, all inspiration is lost, and the best advice I can give you as a writer is to move forward and never stop. You can go back, but make it brief so that you never lose your momentum, because an object in motion, stays in motion, while an object at rest, requires a lot more energy to move.

Ken :)

https://www.facebook.com/StarshipSaladin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:34 pm 
Lieutenant JG

All right. I'll finish up this episode as is, and work on the series from there. Thank you.

"I WANNA EAT WHALE!"
-Captain Aya Nakajima
USS Constellation II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:59 pm 
Lieutenant JG

I can't draw stars! My technique to draw stars either no longer works after I transferred to a new computer or I forgot how. Either way photoshop doesn't make it possible. What should I do?

"I WANNA EAT WHALE!"
-Captain Aya Nakajima
USS Constellation II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 pm 
Lieutenant JG

Problem solved.

"I WANNA EAT WHALE!"
-Captain Aya Nakajima
USS Constellation II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:03 pm 
Lieutenant JG

I have been having problems being motivated. There doesn't seem to be any process that I can rely on to help me get ANY story idea down. It has been a year since I started working on the "pilot" for Trek & Wars, and recently I have settled on redoing it as it seems to be getting to long and complex for clarity and coming out looking to patched together. Mostly I don't write a script I just draw it out as the story comes, but I have tried writing a script on a writing program called Celtx (free to download) but the format for a comic script seems to "confining" as how many examples of comic scripts I have read seem to be to "structured" for some like me who just goes with it. I may be a little inexperienced in the process and haven't given myself the time needed. I've also been feeling rather lazy and haven't been as active as I should be for my own personal taste. Any thought and advice would be greatly appreciated.

"I WANNA EAT WHALE!"
-Captain Aya Nakajima
USS Constellation II

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:31 am 
Artist: Surya

The only way to ever finish writing is to just sit down and do it. That may sound cliched, but it's the truth.

How do you get motivated to vaccuum your carpets or buy groceries or paint a fence? You just /do/ it.

As for writing scripts, I wouldn't bother with anything fancy. I just use Word. My scripts are pretty basic - page and frame counts, and the dialoge for each. Sometimes I'll include notes for what the shot looks like, but usually it's just a quick note at the start of a scene to remind me where this is set, and I figure out the art and camera angles later.

And it's definitely easier to finish the script before doing the art. One of the things my supposedly active story bumped into was having to junk half the script, including the ending, half-way through, and I just ran out of writing. (I also had some outside problems happen at the same time and find that I associate working on that story with those problems, which is the big reason I haven't touched it in most of a year....)

But yeah. There's no secret. Just sit down, write out the script, then throw that one away ('cause it'll be crap) and write it again; go through and edit/revise, and then start drawing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:45 pm 

I met R.A. Salvatore this past summer, and I asked him, "What do you do when you get writer's block."

He told me (basically), "It's bullshit. I don't believe in it. Put away the tv and the video games and sit down and write. If you write for ten minutes, you'll get your groove and be able to keep going."

I have to agree with him. It does work to sit down and do it. It's the ONLY way it works.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm 
Lieutenant JG

Well, thanks to you all, I've made rapid progress on the script for the first episode (I chosen the screenplay script as it gives the most flexibility in creativeness.)

Thank you all for motivating me when I asked for it.

"I WANNA EAT WHALE!"
-Captain Aya Nakajima
USS Constellation II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 am 

Glad to help! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:05 am 
Lieutenant JG

Saladin_CO wrote:
I met R.A. Salvatore this past summer, and I asked him, "What do you do when you get writer's block."

He told me (basically), "It's bullshit. I don't believe in it. Put away the tv and the video games and sit down and write. If you write for ten minutes, you'll get your groove and be able to keep going."

I have to agree with him. It does work to sit down and do it. It's the ONLY way it works.

I've just came up with a thought that may seem like a "counter" argument to Mr. R. A. Salvatore's opinion on the idea of the so called "writers block" (as he see's it) and the idea that I thought of is that "writers block" can be like a dam of some sort that, as soon as it breaks, the ideas just POOR right out and just "flow's" on to the page (screen, wall, sidewalk, etc.). At least that's what I recently experienced.

Perhaps not so much a counter argument and more like an "addition" to Mr. Salvatore's belief, as this "dam" is all the distractions that he has mentioned, and "turning off the TV and putting away the video games" is the loosening of what holds the dam together allowing it to finally break.

In either case, it is an exciting experience.

"I WANNA EAT WHALE!"
-Captain Aya Nakajima
USS Constellation II

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next