USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: An Idea...
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:15 am 
Author: Saladin

Well, I'm up for anything that is doable that would be an exciting project. The Space Command project is a good inspiration. Create a concept and go for it. Starship Polaris is an independent film with a crew of people who started all with fan films. Both are good inspiration.

The closest thing to a Space Fantasy film is Star Wars. It has a fantasy story set in a world with scifi technology. In particular, the Clone Wars 3d animated series goes a LOT farther into the fantasy elements and I think it works very well.

I have a project that's been on the burner for a LONG time. It's called Demonslayers, and it is 90% fantasy with some scifi. I don't want to get too open on the concepts here, but if anyone is really interested, at least with it, I have a novel length story written and it is all original. The concept is better than the execution at the moment, and it needs a rewrite as I wrote the main storyline in 1984, a year out of high school and so it's kinda... simplistic. But I've written a zillion fantasy stories since that I'm going to set in the Demonslayers world and if you guys are interested, it would get me motivated to jump back into the project after a long hiatus. My website for it is www.demonslayers.com.

Ken

https://www.facebook.com/StarshipSaladin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:24 am 

Another fun genre is the superhero genre. I haven't done one of those yet, but I've been very interested in it for a long time and I would love to do something with it. You have lots of freedom to do almost any kind of story with it, and with the popularity of stuff like The Avengers, it might be kind of fun to do.

And this gives me some ideas in that department:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/3d/3d-genesis ... k_btn=hero

Here's a video DAZ made to advertise their Supersuit for Genesis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KjIJyq3xKI

This is one figure, the GENESIS figure from DAZ Studio 4.x and one clothing item with a zillion morphs to make anything you want out of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:28 pm 
Lieutenant JG

I could do either concept... and as for DAZ3D Genesis with the Supersuit... I bought the package of the Supersuit with the all those presets and shader objects, since it was introductory pricing and the suit looked so, so good. It's not 100% what I'd like, but it's still amazingly flexible as a suit. I'll still be using the "GSuit" bodysuit for Genesis, but it definitely added significant possibilities.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:47 pm 
Artist: Tamerlane

Location: Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol, Perseus Arm (Orion Starbridge), Virgo Supercluster
I would love to help out, but I'm starting a new project at the moment (That you will all... probably... be really excited to hear about... but it's a little too early to talk about it). I would have to knock out Tamerlane in order to do anything else :( But I'll lend moral support! :D And perhaps I can help here and there. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:12 pm 

That's kinda the point Aabh... so many of us are working on seperate projects here... something we're all working on shouldn't be as heavily loaded on a single person.
I don't exactly what I can provide except some sort of organization duties... My writing isn't all that grate and my artwork is worse.

"To date, Zentran scholars have yet to pinpoint the exact power of this "protobunny." Dr. Hexagram of Macross 8.2 died in his research - his last act was collapsing dead, moaning "mooooooeeee" while watching DYRL." --Shammie Milliome Trading Card

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:38 am 
Artist: Surya

Notsonoble wrote:
That's kinda the point Aabh... so many of us are working on seperate projects here... something we're all working on shouldn't be as heavily loaded on a single person.
I don't exactly what I can provide except some sort of organization duties... My writing isn't all that grate and my artwork is worse.

In my experience, collaborative efforts are a lot of fun and produce a story that is quite different than what the individuals working alone might do - but isn't a whole lot less work, because of the need to do things and then share them and the re-do them to make them all fit together. The high level of communication needed adds "processing workload," too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:36 pm 
Lieutenant JG

Vagabond Elf wrote:
In my experience, collaborative efforts are a lot of fun and produce a story that is quite different than what the individuals working alone might do - but isn't a whole lot less work, because of the need to do things and then share them and the re-do them to make them all fit together. The high level of communication needed adds "processing workload," too.

Certainly, while it does require quite a bit of communication, as well as significant "give and take", not only do you get something quite different, but one can post something to add to the background, that then sparks an idea from someone else for a whole story.

I currently participate in Fenspace, and I've had some definite contributions to a few of the stories, and some of the background as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 pm 

I didn't say it would be less work, only that it wouldn't be as much work for all involved as a single person project. Those who can't contribute as much can still contribute and the project still moves forward. That is not however an excuse to be lazy. :P

I've had another few things strike me... but I need to shape them it to more reasonable ideas before posting them... expect a wall of text sometime soon.

Ken I vaguely remember demonslayers... Isn't one of your websites focused on it? Also, I seem to remember it wasn't a one man thing, if my memory is correct would any of the others be willing to continue (or pickup something else)?

"To date, Zentran scholars have yet to pinpoint the exact power of this "protobunny." Dr. Hexagram of Macross 8.2 died in his research - his last act was collapsing dead, moaning "mooooooeeee" while watching DYRL." --Shammie Milliome Trading Card

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:38 pm 

Okay so this proposal might be a bit much. In fact, it's not something we could do alone, or for free I think.

But here's a "all in" proposal.

I've been watching a lot of anime (no I'm going to propose one exactly). The good ones seem to have an interesting habit. They'll tell a story in only one or two seasons. (So 12 or 24 eps) then they're done. The ones that seem to have a good story that do this (especially when they're 12 eps) really leave me wanting more. The 24 ep ones seem to be either just about right or maybe drag a little. The ones that run really long get kinda repetitive. They're also 30 minute format (which comes to really a 20-24 minute episode).

I think we could split the difference. I say we be ambitious and set a first goal for a 12 ep hour format (so 45-53 minute) cgi set.
We can tell two major stories (6 eps per plot), and 12 minor stories (without them being quite so simple as gets crammed into the b plot of a 30 minute format).
Setting 12 Episodes now gives us a goal, but makes it more ambitious than a single production.
The hour format gives us enough room that if we want to cut it short without leaving it hanging in the wind, we can make that decision (no later than episode three) and still have room to complete a story.
CGI means is the next step based on a lot of the comics here. It also means if we have to go looking for paid help (eep) we're looking for seiyū, hopefully easier to get.
The existing CC/Open video productions are CGI... I think if we wanted to go really crazy we could do an Open Series much like the previous Open Movie projects out there. We could even look some of those people if we all felt like it.

Now, I know Ken just said his movie project was going to keep him away from video projects, but there is some difference here.

A) It won't be his first time, that always helps.
B) If he so chooses, he doesn't have to provide any video production (but may have to find someone willing or advice in trade)
C) I'm willing to try and help with the production part (although I don't know how much good I'll be).

Like a lot of stories, the first episode should be "world building" and "introductions".

So there's my crazy over the top proposal. Am I nuts, or do I have something?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:09 pm 

For an undertaking of that magnitude, I'd rather make it a graphic novel series or something like that. I'm a year and a half into a 3d film and yes, I'm solo'ing on it for the most part, but I'm not even half done yet. Multiple episodes could be straightjacket forming for me at this point.

However, that said, I'm a pretty crazy guy.

Ken :)

Oh, and yes, Demonslayers is found at www.demonslayers.com or .org. When I first created it in 1986, it was intended to be a home movie, then it became a college film and then it went to a game mod for Neverwinter Nights that never quite went online though I made most of the world for it, then it is in a sort of hiatus since. Lots of story material, but it is open for rewriting (seriously, it needs it) and so I'm not opposed to doing something with it.