USS Tamerlane

NOTE: Because of Spambot attack, new registration is temporarily disabled, Look for us on Facebook. Please use a third party image host for your pictures, space is at a premium now.
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Saladin II
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:34 am 
Artist: Tamerlane

Location: Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol, Perseus Arm (Orion Starbridge), Virgo Supercluster
This is the second thread for Starship Saladin

Post subject: Re: Saladin II
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:31 pm 
Author: Saladin

This is a ship of my own design, hopefully evoking a little of the Daedalus and Bonaventure classes, but upgraded to TOS era tech. The USS Hippocrates....

The USS Hippocrates is an older ship converted to newer technology for Starfleet Medical Operations. It is completely unarmed and its mission is entirely to assist with medical disasters in peacetime like the Red Cross, and to support Starfleet in times of warfare, much like a MASH unit.

https://www.facebook.com/StarshipSaladin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:52 am 
Artist: Surya

I have to admit, I'm not fond of the TAS Bonnie, so I'm already biased against a ship using her saucer. But even setting that aside - too many struts! Having pylons running to both secondary hulls looks odd. Having the double dorsal riser to the dorsal hull just looks messy. If a ship that's expected to perform high-stress manoeuvres doesn't need it, why should something that's going to move slowly and ponderously?

I'm not convinced that the double dorsal hull would be "realistic" anyway - why would a medical ship need more room than a cruiser meant to run for 5 years without resupply? Yes, the medical ship needs a lot of space, but so does the cruiser. They'll use it for different things, though - the medical ship is getting resupply every few weeks, but has a lot more souls on board.

So I could buy into a hospital ship the size of a heavy cruiser, but bigger? That seems overdone. However, accepting it for the sake of argument, having the two different styles just clashes. She belongs to one design generation or another.

What you might do, if you wanted to keep the same general lines, is make the lower hull a tug-pod. That would give the ship a multi-mission flexibility that justifies the mass, while keeping the volume of the base ship high enough to support her primary mission. The cylindrical shape will still evoke a Daedalus, but the smooth hull means you won't have a mish-mash of design eras.

Obviously just an opinion, but an honest opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:54 pm 

Well, aesthetically, I probably can't change your opinion on it, but story concept was that these ships are actually smallerthan a connie in saucer space. What is there is entirely multilevel surgical emergency rooms and ship operations as needed. The reason for the multiple dorsals is to allow for emergency turbo elevator shafts to be in full operation. The extra struts allow for additional stability and direct emergency power from the warp drive to power a much needed deflector shield defense system. The ship is unarmed but will still go into a combat situation and so at least in theory, needs better deflectors and more manueverability. The other part of the idea was to have a Daedalus hull that was simply converted to hospital convalescent rooms and passenger space for mass evacuations, etc. The larger windows on the outer rim of the saucer are actually areas where there are internal botanical gardens and places for patients to recover as they're healing, etc. They're for psychological healing, mostly.

Primarily, I wanted a design that was apparent as a hybrid and repurposed vessel. The ship in "All Good Things" was a retro design to the Daedalus, and this is intended in a similar way, to harken to that feel.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:58 am 

Saladin_CO wrote:

Primarily, I wanted a design that was apparent as a hybrid and repurposed vessel. The ship in "All Good Things" was a retro design to the Daedalus, and this is intended in a similar way, to harken to that feel.

Ken

And that's a worthy goal. Of course, the ship is "All Good Things" has two major differences from your ship here:

1) It uses old shapes to call back to the Daedalus but applies a consistent style to how they're finished, and

2) It doesn't include features that aren't seen on any other ship, even those that would have even more need to use them. Why don't CAs have cross-braces on their warp engines? Why don't dreadnoughts have two dorsals, to move their huge crews in emergencies? I don't know, but they don't. Since they don't, there is presumably a good reason - and to make a new design "fit in," it needs to follow those same rules.

I do take your point about the smaller saucer needing to be balanced by the second secondary hull, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 pm 

Yeah, I went back and forth on the extra struts. It didn't seem to work with them on just the lower section because the advanced engineering is really in the more modern secondary hull, which is on top on this ship. But, it looked really wierd with just the ones on top and nothing on the bottom. So, I thought about it and decided to do both.

Finally, I concluded that just because we haven't seen one like that, doesn't mean it can't be done that way. If I put the Daedalus hull on top, it would look too much like a wonky dreadnaught. Tried it several ways, but ultimately, this was the one I chose. It's not a pretty ship, it's very utilitarian.

I remember the Stargazer looked strange at first, but we got used to it. This would probably be the same over time.

Here's some of what I was remembering when I was making the ship: http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/tos_1.php

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:33 pm 
Lieutenant JG

The ship is interesting with the blend of the old and newer tech on it. Aesthetically it looks a tad Frankenstein. IMHO of course. Not bad but not great either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:28 am 
Artist: Tamerlane

Location: Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol, Perseus Arm (Orion Starbridge), Virgo Supercluster
I'm in with the Frankenstein effect. However, I like that.

I have to agree with Davyd: The number of struts is distracting. I'd go with normal double very Thick struts (To fit the aesthetic).

One other thing you could do is have the nacelles strapped to the upper hull instead of the Horizon hull. Then, what if the Horizon hull was attached by a large, reversed "Neck" to the upper hull as well? That way all three of the pylons are attached to the upper hull?

I'd also put big, red crosses on it. It's a medical ship :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:58 am 

Aabh wrote:
I'd also put big, red crosses on it. It's a medical ship :D

Yeah, but that's not only Earth-centric but Eurocentric, innit? :P And is, in fact, copyrighted or trademarked in the US by the Red Cross society, which is why one doesn't often see real-life ambulances with the emblem. (Though now that I've said that, I want to do a ship that's actually operated by the Red Cross society.)

Actually, the symbol that Trek seems to use for medicine is the Caduceus, if I recall correctly. The show may have depicted the more correct Rod of Asclepius, but I think it's a Caduceus. Both of those are also Eurocentric symbols, but they have much less controversial connotations than a cross.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:31 am 

I'm actually using the Caduceus on the ship. It's the same symbol as the Hippocrates in "All Good Things," just for continuity's sake.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next